Thursday, August 18, 2005

Buchtel Reunion, Class of 1970

Hold on to your britches, I am not about to admit that I was previously cryogenically frozen and am actually 30-some-odd-years older than I claim. No no, that is not the case. But, what I am about to tell you is equally strange... I feel closer to the Buchtel class of 1970 than my own graduating class. Why you might ask? Well, for one, I hated high school, and two, my mom has been on her reunion planning committe for all of its 35 (holy shit!) years.

That's right, once a cheerleader, apparrently always a cheerleader.

So, with Mummy's reunion (and I should mention it's the man-boy step-dad's class as well) the house has been all aflutter with reunion activities.... making glittering centerpieces, typing yearbook updates, multiple phone calls with Uncle Nasty, and Saturday night they are gonna party like its 1970!

I remember so many of the planning parties we used to have back in the day. There's this list of "aunties & uncles" who would show up with their kids, 6 packs of beer and, for a few months every 5 years or so, we would be wild children let loose upon the streets while our parents sat around the kitchen table, talkin' shit, reminiscing, and taking a much needed break from the "joys of parenthood" to reconnect with some old friends. My personal favorites were always George "Nasty" Nelson, Teddy & Randy. Those 3 guys walked into the room and the party started. Singin', dancin', laughin'... all night long. Even as an 8 year old, I knew what was going down was special and awesome.

Being young and impressionable, I always thought I would have a high school experience like that, build friendships like that... funny how things work out. Maybe I got what I needed from watching all of them. Maybe I wanted to see what other paths would be like. Who knows. I know the chances are slim that I will ever go to a High School reunion, but I can always hope that for the BHS 50th I can be an honerary invitee.

-over and out-

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey! It is our 10yr reunion this year! You know what? I think I hated high school MORE than you! I have a plan...Every 5 years you and I can meet up and have a "I Hated School Reunion"! Sound like a plan? We can talk about our old enemies, the bad things we did, bad grades, and how we can't believe that we actually graduated!!! Lol. -Tiffany

3:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And I bet we could make some nice Voodoo doll centerpieces! And I many people to name them after. Am I still bitter? Lol. -Tiffany

3:16 PM  
Blogger the dollimama said...

Now you've gone and done it...you made Uncle Nasty cry. He said he loves you (and your sisters!) and that at the BHS 50th reunion, you'll be there as his date (oh, boy! another Mrs. N to add to the list!). He mentioned that if, on the off-chance, he's not around in 15 years to enjoy your company, just buy a Lite beer in his name and set it down at the place next to you where he should be sitting...xoxo

11:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home