Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Life imitates art, imitates life?

So you know how on Desperate Housewives as soon as Lynette went back to work, Parker had an imaginary friend named Mrs. Mullberry? The cheap, Mary Poppins knock-off, complete with black umbrella, Mrs. Mullberry? And Lynette goes batshit crazy, all guilty for leaving Parker and making him turn to this imaginary friend? And because of all her crazy-ass antics Mrs. Mullberry is killed right before Parker's very eyes? You know all about this right? Just twist the story into Elliott & Elmo, and you got it.

So today was the 3rd day of "school" for Elliott. And I thought she had been taking it all in stride. No tears when I dropped her off, she is getting along, enjoying music time & reading, and really really really into all the Elmo dolls. Yesterday they told me that they had to let her sleep with Elmo during naptime because SHE WOULD NOT GIVE HIM UP. Fer and I thought it was cute, and we have a few Elmo's at home, so whats the big deal. But last night she would NOT go to sleep without an Elmo by her side. It was all AAAHLLL-MOOO! over and over and over again. So we took elmo's talking guts out and gave in.

This morning we go to "school"... she's cool as a cucumber. We walk into her "little fishies" room, and she spies Elmo. So starts the day, I say goodbye, hugs and kisses, and she throws Elmo down and starts screaming EEEELLLLMOOOO! EEELLLLMOOOO! Clearly... its not elmo she wants... but she is really confused. So I try to hand it back, say goodbye and leave... like they tell you to. And I am all smiles... Elmo is your friend, look at all the other friends you have here. Have a good day Bean, Momma loves you.

I walk out. She throws herself at the door, screaming Elmo!, and they have to pull her away. I feel like Lynette, I want to kill Elmo. I want to go back to the way things were before, before only 2 short days ago when everything changed. I mean, whats money in comparison to the tears of not only a little girl, but the bestest little girl in all the world?

So I spent the morning on the phone with Debbie, and we are going to walk around and get lunch somewhere to take the edge off. I know she'll be ok, that she was probably fine only a minute later, but it's killing me. For now, I am keeping my eyes on the prize, and its not a lofty goal... just to get through this 1st week. I guess we're almost 1/2 way there. There, another silver lining.

In Other News:
Honestly, until all this other stuff calms down, there is no other news. Sorry if this is not funny or bores you. I am a bundle of nerves, emotions, and upset stomach. I know it will be ok... I know we are not the first people to go through this, I know she is gonna like it, but i can't help feeling a little bit like WHAT THE HELL HAVE I DONE?

-over and out-

3 Comments:

Blogger Mombi said...

She's a happy little fishy just like I was a happy Tiny Tot and you were a happy little... wait, what did they call kids at the Jesus School?

Seriously, though. She is a delightful little girl who will learn and love other little kids and yes... Elmo. We all have our Elmos. We all have our bad days.

And even as adults there are times you still want to crawl into your parent's lap and make the world go away. It's just proof that she knows who she can count on (even if she gets the names mixed up).

I'm sorry that you can't spend every moment with her now. Meeting kids and making friends will be great for her. And hell, she can certainly teach THEM a thing or two... or maybe some choice words. ;-) Maybe she'll meet her Theresa McKoski or her Jessica Wilburn.

But what a gift to come home to a momma and a poppa like yous guys. You're all super individuals.

1:53 PM  
Blogger Dave said...

You should scan the Polaroid. That'll break some hearts.

9:14 PM  
Blogger Mombi said...

My Elmo lives in a plastic bag now. Doesn't get much worse than that.

8:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home