Tuesday, November 06, 2007

The Glory of the Pom

Dear Internets,

Today was an interesting Parental day round here... and I just thought I would take the time to share. If I don't remember to post these inane things, then there will be no record of the goings on when my senility kicks in.

Things have been changing around here in the past few weeks. I've yet to figure out if its simply the weather, time, or the mere fact that I live with a 3 year old, but parenting has been the strangest, and possibly most difficult since they kicked me out of the hospital with a screaming blob that did not come with an instruction manual. So we have been adjusting our approach to certain trials and tribulations (read: tantrums) of the 3 year old in hopes that a few things may occur: ah) I will not have a completely intolerable 5yr old & bah) when we have another child (at some point which is NOT now) I will be able to deal with 2 of them a tad better and no one ends up shaken (including me). lol.

Which brings us to this morning. But before we begin, do you remember the early days? When I had a pom-(binkie, pacifier, nuk whatever)-loving bean of a child that slept, ate and shit well?


Look how cute! Her pom was almost as big as she was.... and she loved it.



And has continued to love them from birth until now, at 3yrs and 3 months old. Now, I have been told before that I should make her give up the pom. That I was in for trouble by letting her keep it.... its for babies and whatnot. Well, there have been tons of reasons why I let all that fall on deaf ears and let my kid suck away on a big plastic nipple:
1. I like that she was still a baby. People make kids grow up too fast as it is.
2. my sisters had their poms for quite some time and we can attribute none of their bizzare behavior to this occurance.
3. she has always slept amazingly, and no one else was offering to come over and live/take care of her for whatever length of time it took to get her over it.
4. it keeps her quiet. you know the phrase "Put a plug in it?" WHAT THE HELL DO YOU THINK THEY WERE TALKING ABOUT?
Amen.

But now, I see that something will need to be done. To say my child is strong willed is being gentle. She wants to match her poms to her pjs. She needs to have choices in poms and extra ones in hiding incase she cant find them in the night. She talks about it as though its her only comfort in the world, and god forbid we CAN'T FIND THE ONLY POM SHE WANTS TONIGHT TO SLEEP WITH. Do you see what I am getting at here?

So I have been talking to her about the pom fairy, who comes and takes the poms and gives them to the new babies, so they have them. And the pom fairy is amazing, and we will build a nest to leave the poms in and the fairy will leave a NEW Big Girl Present. Awesome! And today, we talked about how soon the fairy is coming, and when we need to make our nest and, can you guess it? Melt Down City.

The screaming. The Crying. The Pleading. Talk of never being able to sleep, and how much she doesn't like the pom fairy and nothing will be ok ever again! And when I reminded her of all the babies out there that needed poms and what would happen to them? how will they be comforted? where will their poms come from? Elliott reminded me that she is indeed my daughter:

"Then when I see the babies with the poms I will step on their fingers and then kick them!"

No, I am not kidding. That is word-for-freaking-word.

-over and out-

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

this is so damn funny. elliott is a complete nutTAH.

we're going to have to keep her away from babies with pacifiers like we kept lau away from german shephards.

miss you's 2.

:)

me, kc fer and things

7:14 AM  
Blogger Mombi said...

This is the funniest effing thing I have ever read. The Pom Fairy. That kills me.

9:32 AM  
Blogger TheDollimama said...

thank allah that i was able to use logic on maynan in order to make her give up her pom. we discussed it. like adults. "if you really want to go to preschool, you have to give up your pom--they don't let kids go to preschool if they have poms." done and done. voila.

a "pom fairy" is a little creepy. but i was never keen about a tooth fairy digging around under my pillow either.

and i can't believe that miss bean is ... oh, wait ... she IS a markovicious!!!

1:04 PM  
Blogger Danielle said...

This may help you somewhat. Just a stab in the dark from a childless female who happens to read Ask Moxie, which is largely a mommyblog.


http://moxie.blogs.com/askmoxie/2007/10/book-review-you.html

4:26 PM  
Blogger Danielle said...

hmm, that came out weird. Try this.

4:27 PM  
Blogger Danielle said...

A bit of fun for you, if you're so inclined: You're IT!

http://twerpsworld.blogspot.com/

12:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home