Thursday, January 06, 2005

This battle I must win

Four days and counting. Fer has returned to the working world and I am in The snowy Land of Babies. Its nice here, everything is pretty to look at, however, I am starting to realize that in the Land of Babies, there is only one King. Or should I say Queen. And that's queen with a capital "D" in front, as in... Drama. Yes one and all, I have a Drama Queen all at the tender age of 5 Months.

See, I know where I went wrong. She was so soft, warm, cuddly... new and amazing. So I held her all the time. What was the harm I thought... I mean, she does not sleep with us, so I should like hold her all the rest of the time to like, bond and stuff. Well... have I created a monster.

Four days in a row, 2 times a day, one hour each, I am STILL TRYING TO GET THIS GIRL TO NAP. My mom thought I was lying about Ellie's inability to self-soothe and sleep on her own. 10 days in ohio showed her I have the most stubborn child on the planet. And this momma wants a little of her life back, so... I am hoping that she will begin to recognize a pattern to these times of exile.

Yes, yes, i know this is coming off harsh, but picture this, sweet internet: she is resting in my arms, i lightly set her down and she snaps awake, GLARINGLY, as if to say, Goddamnit Woman! We have been THRU this before. HOLD ME! and she starts to wimper. I must admit, knowing what I know now, i am not won over by the cries. I say have a nice nap, and walk away. Over the next hour all types of cries come forth.. some playful, some really pissed. But I let her do it, hoping against hope that she will eventually tire, and rest.

Silly woman, I know.

I return to her room 1 hour later, as recommended by the book I have read, because after this hour, she is no nearer to sleep then the second she left my arms. I look over the crib and . . .

The crying/whimpering/whining stops, and lo and behold.... A Grin. From ear to ear... no tears in sight. She looks at me all big-blue-eyes, and clearly says: "Told you, I've won again. When will you learn. Simpleton."

Wait.... as i type this... she is quiet. After 4 days, do you think she might actually have fallen asleep? Ah, no. Ha ha, my mistake. She must have been sucking her new-found thumb. Awesome. Like mother like daughter, isn't that what they say? ;-)

In other news:

Over 6 inches of snow is on the ground right now. The nice thing is that it's a beautiful sunny day, and there is so much light streaming in our house right now. I realize that I missed the midwest, but had forgotton about the tricks a lack of sunlight can play on my brain. So, as decided by myself and Fer last night to help keep me out of the woods, I must start a bi-weekly sessions at our local tanning salon to help keep those deep dark thoughts at bay. It seems strange to admit that I go tanning rather than taking an anti-depressent, but really, if given the options, which would you choose?

-over and out-

2 Comments:

Blogger Danielle said...

TAN! Dude. This ain't no joke, as you well know. My roommates are from Louisiana and if they don't tan during the winter, they sink into deep, dark depressions. It's real, man. It's called SAD - Seasonal Affective Disorder and it's really real, y'all. Check it: http://www.nmha.org/infoctr/factsheets/27.cfm

You tan away, baby girl! Tan away!

3:39 PM  
Blogger Mombi said...

Lexy has a tanning bed. I need to go and visit it. I feel your pain.

Last winter I skipped tanning biweekly. That was a bad decision. Ask Kirk. Melatonin is our friend.

10:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home