Wednesday, July 26, 2006

#2, a week early.


Dear Elliott,

Next week is your second birthday... we have been planning your party, decorations, gifts, etc all week, and it has really had me thinking about how much you've changed so quickly. Its amazing that yet another year has flown by, and you are not really my little baby anymore. Already, for the most part, you are a curious, independent, willful toddler who has a ready "Let Elliott DO IT!" attitude and statement for almost any experience.

This is honestly not surprising, since I tend to be rather willful myself... what has been surprising is how willing I am to step back and just let you do it. To see what you can find out on your own, with me there to cheer you on. I must say, it has created some amazing results.

You are also developing an extensive vocabulary, complete with the correct usage of delicious, absurd, and exciting, among others. You also have an amazing sense of humor, you love to show how funny you can be.... and you are right on. I love it when you say "I'm Funny! HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!"

Last night over dinner, Daddy & I thought we would be really smart and ask you what our names were... like you would only know to say mommy or daddy. And when I asked what Daddy's name is, you curtly responded with "Kris". When asked what mommy's name is, a very clear "Gayle" was uttered. But the most amazing thing was the look on your face, you looked at me as if we had lost our minds for #1, not knowing our own names and asking you, #2, thinking that you would not know what other people call us. Amazing.

These days you love to laugh and sing every song under the sun, completely and in time. So well in fact, that OTHER PEOPLE know what you are singing, (to name a few: ABCs, Itsy bitsy spider, twinkle twinkle, row row row your boat, and just so you can stand out in a crowd: the majority of The Beauty & The Beast soundtrack, AND Good nab & Goodnaght in GERMAN. {no, i am not freaking kidding}) You also love to have tea parties with Dora, Elmo & Zoe, using your "Bunny Linens" on laps and to clean up spills.

I just can't get over what a little girl you are becoming. Every morning when you wake up, your blue eyes sparkle with excitment, awe, love and wonder and I can't help feeling that I could loose myself forever in those moments. A friend was trying to make plans for a weekend coming up and I had to say that I only make plans with family and other people who have kids on the weekends because my time with you is so important. And as the words came out of my mouth I was amazed that I have become this person who is your mommy. I was not sure, or, i should say, am not always sure of what I am doing, but I know there is nothing I wouldn't do to spend more time with you and show you all my love.

Happy Birthday Bean-a.

2 Comments:

Blogger the dollimama said...

my eyes are wet. in a good way...

here to help my loves--i can help you with the words when i get there but i doubt you'll need it...you can hear it if you listen to your heart:

Guten Abend, gut' Nacht
Mit Rosen bedacht
Mit Näglein besteckt
Schlüpf unter die Deck'
Morgen früh, wenn Gott will
Wirst du wieder geweckt
Morgen früh, wenn Gott will
Wirst du wieder geweckt

xoxoxo
all my love

10:41 PM  
Blogger H. Harvey said...

Tears in eyes. It's so wonderful you're seeing it when it's happening, not just hindsight when you'll always wonder if your glasses might be too rose colored. Remember the quality of your moments with Ellie, and try to have as many of those moments where time has stopped for you so you can appreciate, with her, with the breeze blowing through the fluorescent green trees as we did, with kris... as much as you can get. It's the magic.

Love yuz,

Also grateful to have been a human as opposed to a piece of gravel

10:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home