Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Not to be outdone by loving kindness

What I have been fearing the worst, until teenage years that is, is the terrible two's. I've known for some time that they were upon us... right around 18 months I started to see glimmers of impending doom. Now, I will admit that I have an incredibly mild-mannered, happy child overall, however when she blows a gasket or has a meltdown it is that much more of a confusing and horrible event. Partially because I am so not prepared for it, and therefore have no reasonable response, but I digress.

Ms. Elliott Rose Carter has learned to pitch fits that get her a timeout. And the interesting thing is that she wants the time out, all the way to the point of actually getting it. She will smack, talk back, yell at you to "Get out! Go to your Room! CLOSE THE DOOR!!!!!" all the way to smiling coylike and whispering "time out?" And of course, mad as hell, I say, Do you WANT a time out, because that is exactly what you are going to get if you do that one more time.

And she says: "One more time!" and does it.

And the screaming starts. Flailing of the limbs, crocodile tears, snot, and screams for BATI! ELMO! anything to drive the point home that she needs comfort, and I am SO not the one that she wants. It is so NOT a good time, but I hang strong. For I fear, fear is no way to control this one. She has none, and it does not look like she'll be aquiring that emotion anytime soon. But maybe thats a good thing.

Her new most annoying habit these days is when Kris and I are talking and not listening to her, she will tell whichever one of us seems appropriate: "Mommy, be QUIET." And she is serious as a heart attack. If you do not obey her command, she will repeat until you do. And do not tell her it is not nice, for that only brings the dragon out of the cave.

Oh, how I remember the days when all I wanted was for her to talk to me, and now, how I long for moments when she will BE QUIET.

In Other News:

Today is mad prep day for the weekend festivities, which we are ALL looking forward to. Ice Cream Cake, here we come! The slight summer cold I had last weekend is completely gone, thanks to 4xday of emergenc-c and things are lookin up up up.

-over and out-

1 Comments:

Blogger the dollimama said...

[smile]
fun, huh??

you have my utmost sympathy...and someday you will laugh very hard at this time--of course that day will occur when, as a gramma, you get to hear Miss Bean complain about her own wonderful spawn!

love, mummy
xoxoxo

10:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home