Tuesday, January 11, 2005

Uncle

Dear Internet,

It's official, I think I'm depressed. It's a strange thing, how it sneaks upon you... like a bad smell coming from the refridgerator. Like, at first, you are not sure if you even smell anything. Then it overcomes you and before you know it, you freak out and throw everything away.

I thought yesterday I was just having a bad day. Or, more importantly, Elliott and Lilah were having bad days. Ellie was giving me a run for my money, and Lilah decided that it would make everything better if she went and destroyed a few of Ellie's toys just to balance it all out. Yeah. Nothing pisses me off more than tending to a screaming infant, turning around and finding not 1 but 2 of her favorite toys demolished.

But this morning when I woke up, I knew it was not just Ellie and Lilah. It's me. Granted, day 2 of tears from Ellie isn't helping, but in the last 1/2 hour things seem to be getting better. Or maybe the constant crying is just out of her system. Little lizard is a firm believer that sometimes that's all we need, a good cry.

The nature of this beast always defies reason. I know that i wanted to cry this morning when Ellie put her little chubby hand on my cheek and looked into my eyes like she was trying to tell me it is all ok. But, how much more of a failure can I feel when I feel like there is nothing left to give? i mean, this kid is only 5 months old and already i am feeling spent? Sure sure, some days are better than others. And its not even the move that has made me feel this way. I think i would be feeling disconnected no matter where I was living at this point. Maybe its just the pre-mommy/now-i-am-a-mommy personalities duking it out inside me. Maybe its the notion that people with kids often do not want to talk about the realities of it all. I mean, it cant be awesome all the time. What the hell is wrong with admitting that? I know that overall its better than it is worse, but seriously, when do we get to admit to all the other emotions?

But then I hear her make those noises that she makes... the ones where i can tell she is trying to make a real laugh... and she is googling and talking and smiling up at me... like she is saying look mommy! I can do all these things and share them with you! Look at me eat my purple elephant's nose! Its fun, and she hands it up to me with a look of "You try!" And for those moments I feel complete.

When the tide it out, we can play.... but when its in, somehow, I am forgetting how to swim.

-over and out-

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

si, si. i am in the boat with aunt annie. you do have the hardest job in the world, but no one will ever go to a regular job and receive such unconditional love from a glowing, beautiful bean. and i love you too. so call me whenever you are feeling the need for an "adult" stimulation or something to laugh at, cause lord knows i got a closet full of ridiculous things to say. or just tell me to come visit cause i can drop what im doing and blitzkreig my way to chi-town in no time. i love you gayley, remember:
"its alright to cry, crying gets the sad out of you. raindrops from you eyes, it might make you feel better."
xoxox lizzie

11:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

si, si. i am in the boat with aunt annie. you do have the hardest job in the world, but no one will ever go to a regular job and receive such unconditional love from a glowing, beautiful bean. and i love you too. so call me whenever you are feeling the need for an "adult" stimulation or something to laugh at, cause lord knows i got a closet full of ridiculous things to say. or just tell me to come visit cause i can drop what im doing and blitzkreig my way to chi-town in no time. i love you gayley, remember:
"its alright to cry, crying gets the sad out of you. raindrops from you eyes, it might make you feel better."
xoxox lizzie

11:05 AM  
Blogger JSauce said...

Hang in there, hon. You're doing an awesome job! And don't worry, it's not sweeter on the other side either. I was contemplating whether or not I was depressed this morning, and then JoB walked by with a neon green lycra undershirt with pants up to her breasts, and then I KNEW I was depressed.

11:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

From a Dad's perspective. I have an 11 month old son. The majority of my nights and weekends (basically any freetime) are spent with my little guy. MOST of the time he is awesome, but sometimes he can be a handful, as I'm sure all kids can be, and he will unknowingly push me to my mental limits. This frustrates me to no end. It sounds like you have a great support network (family and friends) so USE THEM to vent. That's what they're there for (among other things). After a particularly grueling day I find it helps me to vent (vent, not attack :D ) on my wife, my friends, my family, my blog, basically anyone who will listen and NOT add their stupid comments. I just want to purge it all. Then, I am fine and life continues. Hope this helps some.

11:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yer mommy's here, too. we'd love to come help you...just let us know when. (and we love the chi-town gang, you know. barkyboy's dying for another play-date to the geetar store with his new friend!) take kato-c's offer and go take a 20 minute powernap in a nice tanning bed somewhere. maybe the world just might look a little more rosy (like your skin)!

i know that baby-teerz are the hardest to suffer. but take a moment and look into her eyes--she knows who loves her, right? take a minute, breath, smell her fuzzy little head, and give lilah a hug so she knows you love her, too...
xoxoxo luv, mum

12:42 PM  
Blogger Mombi said...

*joining Kirsten Lid-zey Pooh Bah mid-chorus*

"It's alright to feel things, though the feelings may be strange. Feelings are such real things and they CHANGE AND CHANGE AND CHANGE!!!!!!!!!!"

Have a good cry. I'm a firm believer and frequent exerciser. Then go tanning. Melatonin, not drugs, sista.

You are so much more than a mommy or a homemaker or a sister or a neice or any suntings like that! You are the best! You can do anything! You are a smile, a shining rainbow! You've never been one to label yourself before, I don't see why you would start now.

We need a grown up hobby to share together and talk about. Maybe I'll start taping GH... or you can get into pageants and ebay! JK...

I wish I could come out and help and have grown-up fun...

Heart, dao. Heart.

1:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home