Thursday, July 29, 2004

The Cleaning Lady

I would have to say, that would generally be me.  I really like to clean.  Sometimes the smell of bleach just cannot be beat.  Well, that and knowing that you have killed every last germ or bacteria that may have been hiding on any surface in your home.  However, being preggers has limited me in my neurotic quest for bright white grout, and Lilah-hair-free floors.  There are some cleaning products I can't use anymore, even when wearing my tried and true yellow rubber house gloves, and some of it just makes me too damn tired anymore.  Well, that and the the small fact that my belly has been too big for me to bend over and scrub behind the toilet or the bottom of the tub for months now.  Fer has really risen to the occasion to help pick up this slack, but I can tell its  wearing on his manliness as time goes by.  I cannot blame him for remembering with fondness the days of old when he would come home from practice on Sat afternoon to  a sparkling house and nothing to accomplish for the rest of the weekend.  Now there are dreaded things like "chores" for him to do that go FAR beyond taking out the garbage and doing dishes.

This leads us to 3 new discoveries:

  1. The Swiffer Dusters.  This product is the most ingenious of the entire Swiffer line. I bought them on a whim after seeing a commercial, and thought, what the hell, if they suck, so what.  Let me tell you people, not only do they not suck, they are like the BEST DUSTING PRODUCT EVER! That shit gets trapped up in those fibers, never to be seen or heard from again, and Fer is just LOVING it. He is still in awe of the amount of crap he can dust off and be done with in record time. He runs around telling people, "Have you used the swiffer dusters?  Man, they are like the BEST!"  I bet Swiffer could even get him to do instore demos at this point, he is such a believer.  We were at Target and he got all excited because they had "TWO BOXES ON SALE FOR THE PRICE OF 1. WE HAVE TO STOCK UP!"

2. What I thought would be my new bleaching fav, the Clorox Bleach Gel Pen. Big mistake. It is SO not the glorious bleaching product that I thought it would be. Just stick to your old watered-down homemade bleach concoction. This thing is a rip off.

3.  The NEW cleaning lady. Its not me and its not Fer. For the first time ever, we are going to have someone come here and clean this apartment.  Fer called and confirmed the appointment just last night. And when he did so, he turned to me and asked... "We do have a mop, right?"  Ha ha ha... men.  I have to admit, this is a strange development for me, since I have never lived in a house where cleaning ladies were allowed.  There were kids for that stuff (me and my sisters to be exact). But we are doing it. The LADY is coming. On Saturday morning. We will vacate the premises, and come home to sparkling wonder.  I may just see god. 

In Other News:

Contractions, contractions, contractions. I have had 2 since the beginning of this post. Bets are still on for Saturday.  Anyone started an online poll yet? Waiting is the strangest thing in the world.

-over and out- 

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

ah, yes. cleaning ladies are a wonder. i am now spoiled--the "team" comes to our house once a month. lovely to come home to sparkling floors! it's kinda fun to be there when they arrive--i get to hear them ooh and aah about the house!

so, cross your legs until i get there on friday night! i'll be there as quickly as i can!

xoxoxo mum

1:29 PM  
Blogger Mombi said...

My vote's for Saturday!!!!!!!!!! BLUE MOON BABY!

Mummy, isn't it too late to tell her to keep her legs crossed? ;-) JK!

1:58 PM  
Blogger Danielle said...

I knew there was a kindred aspect to our acquaintance, Miss Gayle, but I could never quite pinpoint exactly what it was that drew me to your person. And now I know. CLEANING SUPPLIES. And not only cleaning supplies, but cleaning STYLE as well...I too enjoy the satisfaction gained in the aftermath of a morning spent on my knees in the bathroom with and old toothbrush and some softscrub. It must be the shared experience of childhood indentured servitude. But it paid off. I can clean everyone I know under the table. Only I can sparkle so bright and shine so brilliantly!

I also admire the fact that you can write so eloquently on a topic so close to my heart while anticipating the most major even of your life. That's some effing focus. Dooce isn't the only Maternal Inferno.

10:59 AM  
Blogger Mombi said...

Danielle, it sounds like we would be friends as well--armed with my favorite toothbrush, tilex, & scrubbing bubbles, I'm a happy woman.

Dao and I split the chores for the $10/week indentured servitude, so I honed my craft with her, on our many, many Saturday morning cleaning extravaganzas.

9:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home